Kiki Halbert Designs

Sunday, October 03, 2010

My Favorite Chicken Recipe

Good morning! Faye here to share with you the most delectable (and simple!) chicken recipe I have ever tried. Someone shared this with me last year, and I have been eating it every few weeks ever since! It's called "Ranch Chicken" and you make it in your crock pot.

All you need are two simple ingredients: Chicken, and Ranch Dressing Mix Powder.

Now, I prefer to use bone-in and skin-on thighs for this meal, however, you can use any cut you prefer. If you use boneless/skinless or breast meat, however, you will need to add a little bit of water to your crock pot to avoid any drying/burning issues (not much, maybe a quarter to a half a cup.)

I buy the family-pack of chicken (as I am feeding 3 adults and 3 children minimum!) and using the thighs, I pay $5 or less, so this meal can be extremely cost-effective. I also use Hidden Valley Ranch powder, however I have tried generic brands and they do quite well also, I just happen to prefer the flavor of the Hidden Valley brand. Whatever brand you choose, though, will not affect the recipe.

For a 'regular sized' pack of chicken (1-1.5lb) you can use half a packet of Ranch Powder, but I like to use the whole thing. For the "family sized" pack, I use two packets, but you can get away with just one.

Simply layer your chicken in the crock pot and sprinkle the powder over it evenly. With the 'family sized' pack you will have a couple of layers, that's absolutely okay. Here's how mine looks:


Pop the lid on and let it go, 4 hours or more on High, or 8 hours or more on Low. No stirring or fussing with it required.

When it's done, it will look something like this:


Now, at this point I like to lift the chicken out onto a serving tray and drain the liquid. I use it to make a side-dish of rice. This is why I like to use the thighs, and skin-on/bone-in meat, they make better 'juice'. The more 'juice', the more flavorful the rice. This is strictly optional, especially if you're watching your waist, but it is absolutely delicious!

Add a veggie or two, and you have an amazing, delicious, super simple and cost-effective meal! It will quickly become one of your favorite 'comfort foods'! Enjoy!!

1 comments:

Wendy said...

Yummy yummy Faye!!! I LOVE rach!!!! but i dont have it here!!!! and the ones I got at the States last year are gone :-(
Delicious your recipe!

ShareThis